PE and Sport play a very important part in the life of Chancel Primary School and at least two, hour sessions per week, are dedicated to physical activity in the curriculum. We believe that physical education and sport contribute to the holistic development of young people and through participation in sport and physical education, young people learn more about key values such as teamwork, fair play and respect for themselves and others.
There is significant evidence to show the positive effects of sport and exercise on children’s physical health, growth and development. Furthermore, sport also provides a healthy environment for young people to learn how to deal with competition and how to cope with both winning and losing.
How We Use Sports’ Premium To Support Our Pupils…
In April 2013, the Government announced new funding (Sport Premium) for physical education (PE) and sport to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision at School, for two years.
We at Chancel are using the Sport Premium to improve the quality of PE and Sport provision in the following ways:
- employing a specialist PE Coach to work alongside teachers in lessons throughout the week to increase their subject knowledge and confidence in PE
- providing a sport coach to run competitions, and to increase pupils’ participation in school games competitions
- quality assuring the work of Sport coaches and instructors employed to coach PE & after-school sports clubs
- using the funding to support sport tournaments, festivals and competitions for pupils of all ages
- supporting midday supervisors to introduce playground games at breaks and lunchtimes
- forging links with PE teachers to help primary staff improve their PE and sports provision
- House system to further develop exciting half-termly, inter-house sports competitions for pupils of all ages
- pool hire and swimming instruction to allow all pupils from Y3-6 to have swimming lessons all year
- subsidising outdoor and adventurous activities on trips – Y5 – 6 Standon Bowers / Chasewater
- Pupils having ownership of the PE curriculum using pupil voice through the Sports Crew
At Chancel, our staff and pupils work closely with the coaches from Progressive Sports to deliver a wide range of sporting experiences for all to enjoy.