The Old Chancel
The Old Chancel is one on the oldest buildings in Rugeley and is a familiar part of the Rugeley skyline. It was built long before the two other churches, the Town Hall and the Power Station. It has stood the test of time against the elements for many centuries. Around the Old Chancel rest some of the forefathers of the town, many of them who were well known locally in their day. The first part of the Old Chancel to be built was that which now forms the eastern and southern part. This was probably constructed during Stephen’s reign (1135-54). In the early part of the next century the Lady Chapel and north side were added. Finally, in the late fourteenth century the tower was built.
William Palmer (6 August 1824 – 14 June 1856), also known as the Rugeley Poisoner or the Prince of Poisoners, was an English doctor found guilty of murder in one of the most notorious cases of the 19th century.
Palmer was convicted for the 1855 murder of his friend John Cook, and was executed in public by hanging the following year.
Palmer made large sums of money from the deaths of his wife and brother after collecting on life insurance, and by defrauding his wealthy mother out of thousands of pounds, all of which he lost through gambling on horses.